Christian Union at Claremont is a group of Christians, or those investigating the faith, who meet together for games, a teaching and building relationships. We are very privileged to have the Fuel Team from Commonground join us every Thursday and they host really fun and creative programmes. It is all about us going deeper in our faith and getting to know each other.
IsiXhosa for Beginners
This is a class for learners and educators who are interested in learning about the Xhosa culture and language. It is a platform for all learners and educators to embrace the diversity of the school.
The choir is a space for fun, teamwork and musical excellence. Weekly practices focus on building vocal strength and proper singing technique, as well as learning to fully appreciate music in all its forms. Our repertoire is constantly growing and is very varied (with many styles and genres) so that all music tastes are catered for.
The CHS debating society is part of the larger Rotary Schools Debating Club. Learners engage in workshops where they apply critical thinking and reasoning to tackle various controversial issues.
In general, the benefits of debating include:
- Gaining broad, multi-faceted knowledge cutting across several disciplines outside the learners' normal academic subjects.
- Increasing learners’ confidence, poise, and self-esteem.
- Providing an engaging, active, learner-centred activity.
- Improving rigorous higher-order and critical thinking skills.
- Enhancing the ability to structure and organise thoughts.
- Enhancing learners’ analytical, research and note-taking skills
- Improving learners’ ability to form balanced, informed arguments and to use reasoning and evidence.
- Developing effective speech composition and delivery.
- Encouraging teamwork.
Interact consists of a group of learners from various schools who would organize events such as:
- A fun day for underprivileged junior/pre-school kids.
- Assist in the cycle tour by handing out water/cool drinks/ etc.
- Assist in any suggested charity projects.
Arts and Design
Arts and Design are done at Herschel Girl's school on a Monday afternoon. Learners are allowed to leave school at 2.45 pm for classes that start promptly at 3 pm.
Art and Design is a fun way for learners to de-stress from their stressful school schedule, and it allows them to express themselves creatively through different artistic methods.
Gumboot dancing was launched at the school in its founding years. Taught by CHS students, this skill is passed on from year to year, and students from all races, genders and grades are encouraged to participate. The routines the students create are creative, vibrant and full of life, balancing the academic focus of the school.
Zumba is a popular dance-based form of aerobics. Both male and female students eagerly participate and help lead our Zumba sessions - traditionally one of our best attended extra murals.